Visit the Church of the Little Ark < Back
In the 19th century, the landlords of Loop Head refused to give over a site for a church for Catholic worship in Kilbaha. In 1852, parish priest Fr Michael Meehan oversaw the building of the Little Ark, a wooden box on wheels, with an altar, which could be rolled onto the foreshore – no man’s land – at low tide.
Eventually, a site was granted, and in 1857, the first stone was turned on Kilbaha’s present church, where the Little Ark can be seen to this day. Read more about the history of the Little Ark here.