See Doonaha Gun Battery < Back
There is a Napoleonic Period battery at Doonaha since 1814 and is one of six batteries located in the vicinity. There were Napoleonic French invasion plans to access and invade Britain from the west of Ireland.
The Mouth of the Shannon was one of the three invasion areas included in the French Directory’s instructions to Vice-Admiral Villaret de Loveuse in October 1796, during the preparations of an expedition to Ireland and the batteries were constructed to ensure the seas leading to Limerick were adequately monitored and protected.
Napoleon was defeated soon after the batteries were built so the canons were never used but there were soldiers based there for a time.
Find out more about the military history of Loop Head.